The 2030 Spatial Framework
The TRUP region was most recently identified as a Multipurpose Urban Park and “created green space”, in terms of the 2030 Spatial Framework for the City https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/IDP/Documents/Draft_IDP_2013_14_Review.pdf. This concept has been carried through into the City of Cape Town Table Bay District Plan Technical Report, Spatial Development Plan and Environmental Management Framework, which was approved as a Structure Plan in terms of section 4(10) of the Land Use Planning Ordinance, Ordinance 15 of 1985 (31 October 2012).
This spatial plan identifies the Two Rivers Urban Park for the intended purpose of a “Conservation Area”. As such, the kinds of developments, land uses or activities that would be undesirable (Table 5.3a of the Table Bay District Plan Technical Report) were described as “any land use or activity that will have an impact on the vegetation cover or ecological functioning of the area, including:
- Manufacturing, storage, treatment, transportation or handling of hazardous substances.
- Solid and liquid waste disposal.
- Industrial activities.
- Residential and commercial development.
- All excavation and mining related activities.
- Establishment of cemeteries.
- Agricultural and agri-industrial activities.
- Outdoor advertising.