TRUP Association Objectives
The TRUP Association Objectives are described in Section 4.3 of the Two Rivers Urban park contextual framework and Phase 1 environmental management plan. They are as follows:
- To conserve the river and wetland environment through sound management principles
- To protect and enhance species diversity
- To investigate the possibility of replacing the canalized section of the canal and restoring the old Liesbeek River course.
- To ensure that any alterations of river courses do not impact negatively on the natural environment.
- To manage the area as an open space for the enjoyment and recreation of all members of the community.
- To maintain, and where feasible, upgrade the existing recreation facilities and amenities.
- To address the issue of security in a practical and cost effective way.
- To address the issues of access and use, especially the issues of access and use in more ecologically sensitive areas to ensure avifauna and fauna are not unduly disturbed, as well as making accessible for public use where appropriate.
- To ensure that uses adjacent to the Park are Council-owned natural areas, and to ensure that the Park benefits from the granting of land-use rights on land adjacent to, or in close proximity to Council-owned land within the Park.
- To assist in financing the upgrading, rehabilitation and maintenance of the area, and to direct the way in which this investment is made, in order to achieve the greatest benefit with the smallest investment.
- To facilitate scientific research and environmental education.
- For all parties, including Council, interest groups and landowners, to act jointly in the management of the Park.
- To develop effective consultation procedures and to ensure that interested and affected parties have an opportunity to participate in Council’s decision-making, on an on-going basis.
- To contribute towards social upliftment in maintenance and management activities.